Thursday, June 11, 2009

Skull Kitty Blanket - and Machine Binding on BOTH Sides








I'm teaching myself how to machine bind the front AND back of quilts... previously I have machine sewn the binding to the front of the quilt and hand sewn the binding on the back. It works just fine, but it takes FOREVER. And as my sewing schedule begins to increase I can't take 5 hours to sew the binding on one quilt. 20 mins is much better. But, like everything else in life, it takes practice. So I decided to make a quick kitty blanket to test out my sewing on. I will be making another one with the same fabric now that I've used this one as my experiment (my cats will be the lucky recipients of this treasure).

This kitty blanket is made with one of my favorite skull-themed fabrics with roses and hearts, and the backing is a thick, fleece with girlie skulls on it. It has batting in the middle and is really soft.

Now onto finishing Sam's quilt! I have promised to hand it off to her on Sunday... and one does not promise something lightly to a 3-year old. I'll post photos of it soon - it's all done except the binding.

No comments: